Ashley Norris, Certified Surgical Technologist
1. What is your role at Carolina Pines?
I am a Certified Surgical Technologist in the Operating Room.
2. How long have you been employed at our facility?
I have been here for 12 years.
3. What was your inspiration for getting into healthcare?
Being part of a team, everyone is keeping the patient's best interest in mind and is working towards the best outcome. As a surgical technologist, I am the first, second and last line of defense to ensure that the patient is properly taken care of. Our motto in the OR "Aeger Primo" means "patient first". The biggest reward is when the patient leaves the hospital and you know that you had a hand in improving their life. In some cases, we as surgical technologists play a big part in helping save lives.
4. What is a typical day like for you? What is it like working in this field?
While the patient is being prepped for surgery, we are ensuring that their surgical room is set up and ready to go. We get all the supplies and instruments needed for the surgery scheduled, all while checking for sterility and safety. We are in charge of the sterile field and preventing the patient from acquiring an infection while in surgery. It can be stressful at times in this field, but it is rewarding knowing you get to be a part of changing people's lives.
5. What are some of the big changes you have experienced in this position?
Surgery is everchanging, for instance- using a new navigation system or robotic system for the first time. We are continuously learning, adapting, and facing new challenges.
6. What are some of your interests outside of work?
I like to go camping and spend time with my family.
7. What do you enjoy most about working at Carolina Pines?
I love my work family. Being a part of such an excellent group of people makes it easier to deal with stressful situations and the challenges that can come with this profession.