Breast feeding support is available through our certified lactation consultant. We’re incredibly compassionate about helping moms start and continue breastfeeding successfully or feed formula safely. To contact our lactation consultant, call 843.339.4380.
The Lactation service can help if:
- you require additional breastfeeding support and reassurance
- baby is not attaching to the breast
- you have sore or damaged nipples
- you have blocked ducts and/or mastitis
- baby is crying excessively
- there are concerns about milk supply
- there are concerns about your baby’s growth
- feeding twins/multiples
- expressing and storing breast milk
- breastfeeding a baby who has other challenges; such as prematurity
Our care at Carolina Pines does not stop when you take your baby home. Research suggests that most mothers are in need of some breastfeeding support following hospital discharge.
Our Lactation Services can help you with breastfeeding throughout your breastfeeding experience.
When should I access the Lactation Services?
- During your pregnancy, if you, your midwife or your doctor feel you could benefit from a consultation with a Lactation Consultant
- In the hospital as you begin your breastfeeding experience
- If you are leaving the hospital and you are experiencing some difficulties with breastfeeding, ask your doctor, midwife or nurse to arrange an appointment for you.
- Once home, if you need breastfeeding support or you are experiencing difficulty.
Your family/postnatal support is welcome and encouraged to be present during your visit. However, if you are bringing other children it is recommended that you have an adult with you to care for them.
In addition, Carolina Pines is a designated Milk Depot and receives donated breastmilk from carefully screened donors. Upon receipt of the breast milk, the Lactation Consultants package and send the milk to The Milk Bank in South Carolina. The Milk Bank pasteurizes, freezes and distributes breast milk throughout the United States.