News2 Tests May Improve Heart Patients' Care, Studies Suggest
A Parent's Grief Highlights Flu Shot's Importance
Diseases and ConditionsPoisoning
Pediatric Diseases and ConditionsAnticipatory Grief
Childproof Your Home for Poisons
(HealthDay News) -- Carbon monoxide (CO) is a toxic gas that you can't see or smell, but it can kill people and animals if a leak isn't detected quickly.
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says here's what you can do to help reduce the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning:
Have any coal-burning, oil or gas appliances or heating systems serviced annually by a qualified technician.
Make sure your home has a working, battery-operated carbon monoxide detector; change batteries twice each year when the time changes.
If your detector sounds or if you have any symptoms of CO poisoning (such as nausea, dizziness or light-headedness), leave the home immediately and call 911.
Don't use any appliance or device that burns gasoline or charcoal inside your home or near an open window.
Never let your car run inside a garage, even with the garage door open.
Never use a gas oven to heat your home, and never use a fireplace or stove that isn't vented.